Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Tanya/Skye Project

Tanya and I have started a scientific experiment to see which of the three hyper-pigmentation products we have purchased work the best on my face.

In the last five years I've started getting these hyper-pigmentation splotches on my face. I know it's from years of not wearing sunscreen, but the actual visual damage started after I used some eyebrow waxing strips that I found at Wal-Mart a few years ago. Now I'm not saying that the waxing strips did the damage, but I'm sure they didn't help either.

Here's a picture of me without makeup. Aren't I a brave little soul?


And a close up of where the different products are being applied.



Tanya gave me a sample her doctor gave her of some cream called NIA24 Sun Damage Repair ($36.74) and also some Joan Rivers Absolutely Magic Hand Cream ($38.50) to try. She said the Joan Rivers one helped with sun spots on her hands. I bought some Oil of Olay Definity Night Anti-Spot Treatment ($23ish at Wal-Mart) for the experiment.

I've been using all three creams for a week and so far the Joan Rivers stuff is fading the pigment the fastest, but it smells like old lady cream. It is the only one with the active ingredient hydroquinone. The other two products use a form of niacin.

I now have four significantly ugly pimples on the small area that the Oil of Olay is being applied, which makes me look a little like a cyclops, and the dark spots are still just as visible.

The NIA24 doesn't seem to be doing much either and it was the one that I had the highest hopes for; Hence why I chose it for the the place that the skin darkening bugs me the most, on my upper lip. I really hate looking like I have a mustache.

So there you have it. Proof that getting older sucks.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're BEAUTIFUL!
N.

Sears on the Plains said...

Oh! Retin-A cream and Vitamin C serum or lotion...don't forget the daily sunscreen to keep it protected! Love you!
N.

Anonymous said...

i got burning with retin-A though. It is not eau de old lady it is ROSE. rose rose rose. that is what i tell myself. hahaha.
our office is pretty cold today.

angy said...

Have I told you lately how much I love you?! You always give me a good chuckle, no matter what the subject is!

And I must agree...this getting old thing does suck pretty bad, and it's only gonna get worse I'm afraid!

Anonymous said...

I want whatever Cortland is using: his skin is perfect and beautiful!! So are you. cg

Anonymous said...

Cortland uses baby saliva all over his face and hands.

We can bottle it up for you and sell it at a reasonable price.

-a

879 said...

that's such a beautiful picture!i still say they look like freckles and freckles are cute. like you. cept you are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Start saving the saliva. I'll get a batch of it when I come down in July. lol mom

Holding my Breath said...

Ala and my mom are super gross! Ack.

Holding my Breath said...

(my n key is still broken)

James Pickering said...

Well of course the Joan Rivers smells like old lady, it's made from 100% Joan Rivers. Nothing important just the stuff she's not using anymore.

Holding my Breath said...

Okay Jimmy P, that's the funniest thing I've heard in a very long time.