Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A Boy!

For the last 20 weeks I haven't been sure how keen I was on having a boy. I don't know how to work a boy. Girls I know. They like dolls and pink and flowers and stuff. Boys? I just couldn't think what a boy would like.

As soon as we found out yesterday that we are having a boy, I just KNEW what a fun time I have in store for me.

We will go for walks and look under rocks for bugs. On our walks, we will save earth worms that have washed onto sidewalks and into gutters. And we will learn how to hop over cracks. We will learn which tree fungus is safe to touch. And we will learn that tree fungus may look soft, but it's not. And we will probably learn that it doesn't taste very good, either.

We will learn what the different toots of a train mean.

We will play soccer in the yard. And we will go to the botanic gardens and run and run and run. After we run and run we will sit and have a picnic of marshmallow sandwiches and carrot sticks.

We will go to the antique store and get old things, like telephones and radios, and my little boy will be able take all of the old things apart with his very own screwdriver.

And even better, Alan and I started thinking of all of the things we get to avoid by having a boy. Things like menstrual cycles and a boyfriend with a chainsaw earring. We get to buy jeans at Sears and return them if they get a hole in the knee before he grows out of them. And at 14 clothing won't be the drama that it is for 14 yr old girls.

And the best part? He will like me! Boys usually like their mommy's even when they are teenagers!
(Alan's best part is he can teach Baby Christensen how to mow. Nothing like reverting to the 1900's when children were born to be farm hands.)

I know that most of that stuff will have to wait a few years. During that wait I will get to snuggle and love on a sweet - and sometimes stinky - little angel that I will be lucky enough to have in my life.

I am so excited. If Alan had a blog he would tell you how excited he is too.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A boy! I'm so excited. Now you'll have a girl and a boy. Thank goodness Grace Ann doesn't date much so thats one trauma that you dont have to deal with. Now it's your son who will terrorize some girl's parents with his green mohawk and a chainsaw earring! You'll make a good mommy (and Alan, a good daddy)! A boy! I'm so excited! Love, Mom

kkoois said...

i am so excited for you guys!! you can start right away with growing him matching hair with his daddy! and when we get together for play dates you will get a little man to snuggle with and tell you how much he loves you while i get, "go away!" and if he ever wants to date elise, he better not have a green mohawk!! :)

Anonymous said...

jim will GLADLY let you browse through the attic in search of things with buttons, switches, toggle switches, levers, and gears. HA! No antique store for YOU, Baby when we have that attic!!!

So.Onward to KHAKI!!! I am so excited for you guys!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Skalan, I can see him now. A long (green?) haired, tall, lanky, bug eating, rock collecting, nose picking, cowboys and indians loving, snuggle-bugging, ninny eating, excited to have such a wonderful mommy perfect little BOY. Really, they are SOOOO much easier than girls (I still love all of mine). Congratulations Love!
N

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you!!!! I can't wait to meet him!

Boys are easier than girs in a lot of ways....when they fight, they fight and then it's over. No silent treatment for the next 30 hours (or 2 weeks!), and you don't have to make 10 different stops because the last 9 bathrooms were just too "icky"...no prom dresses...no wedding dresses...

But I must say that boys are still somewhat picky about their clothes when they become "tweens". Just thought I'd prepare you now...

Love you!!!