Sunday, May 11, 2008

Things To Do While Visiting Skye

My Mom's coming to visit! Yay! I'm compiling a list of fun things to do in the outlying Memphis areas. We've exhausted Elvis and all that entails. Sorry Anton. Anton is my mom's newest exchange kid from Germany.

Of course if Anton really and truly wants to go see Graceland (oh God, please poke my eyes out now) we will, of course, take him to see Graceland (we'll drive by super-duper fast and point out the gate. "Don't blink Anton! You'll miss it!").

So far I've come across a few things I would like to do.

1. Tour the Belmont Mansion in Nashville about 3 1/2 hrs away. Click on this link and see what you think. Click on this one, too.

2. I checked the Grand Ole Opry and there aren't any shows the weekend my mom is here, but we could drive by and wave. It's in Nashville, too.

3. There's a big parthenon we could pop into while in Nashville. What a strange building to have in TN. I'm still trying to piece together what Greece has to do with this state. Of course, if it was in Memphis, well, it would be painted flipping pink. That's just the way we roll here.

4. The Pink Palace in Memphis. heh. See? Told you so.

5. Kayaking on the Mississippi River. Just kidding. How about a leisurely float down the Mississippi on a boat from a dock in downtown Memphis?

6. We could dig for diamonds at The Crater of Diamonds in Murfreesboro, AR about 5 hrs away.

7. This place looks cool. There's cave tours and panning for gems and go-carts. But if it's go-carts that gets the German kid all excited, them we can find somewhere closer than the 5 hr drive to Chattanooga, TN.

8. A mere 4hr drive to Lynchburg would get us to a tour of Jack Daniels distillery. I've heard it's a pretty cool little tour.

Or we could go shopping. I know Anton would not be opposed to going to the mall.

Or antiquing. Or we could just driving around the countryside aimlessly. I'm up for anything. Just remember I will be 13 weeks pregnant and possibly still peeing every hour and randomly puking my guts out. I'm hoping both issues will be resolved by the time my mom visits or the drive back to KS with me will be very annoying.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I vote on the shopping trip and the cave- sorry you may have to deal with Graceland...today was your daughter's birthday- the squeeky blonde one. Have a great time.
PS- Do you think your mom could smuggle me in her suitcase?
Natasha

Holding my Breath said...

No smuggling necessary. She's driving and there's always room in the car for you.

Anonymous said...

Or....you could drive a few hours (I can't remember how long it took us) to see your friend Angy in Patoka. Click here to see what Patoka has to offer. Oh, I'm sorry, did you say that when you clicked nothing happened? Well, that's exactly what Patoka has to offer. Absolutely nothing. But you could come visit anyway! :) Tell your mom I said hi!