Friday, May 16, 2008

Necessities

I have decided to take a few household issues into my own hands. I went shopping for some pieces of furniture that we have been negligent in purchasing. Alan just does not have any sense of urgency when it comes to decorating.

He doesn't understand that a home needs furniture, that an empty house is a cold house. That furniture makes the rooms in a house make sense.

Our house has both a formal living room and a family room. When we moved in, Alan was so confused why we would ever need two rooms that both have couches. He wanted to store his bike in the front room and add some exercise equipment. When I looked at him like he had lost his mind, he quickly stated I could store my bike there, too! He's so astute sometimes.

Yeah, I won and the bikes are in the attic.

When I told him that I wanted to put a chair and table in the hallway at the top of the stairs, he said , "Why? Nobody would sit in it. It would have no purpose." I told him that the purpose would be because it would look pretty. And that sometimes pretty is a piece of furniture's purpose. He just looked at me with lost eyes and said to have at it. He said he is just not meant to understand decorating.

He was befuddled as to why we needed a kitchen table. His reasoning was that our formal dining room table is 20 feet from the kitchen. No amount of words could convince him that we will never eat in the formal dining room except for holidays or when we have company. We have been here over two years and have never eaten in that room if it's just the two of us.

I'm tired of eating on a coffee table in the family room. I'm tired of worrying that I'm going to ruin my pretty family room rug by spilling a meatball sandwich on it. And finally, it would just kill me to have to beat our child because he threw chili on my pretty family room rug. I want someplace to eat as a family when this kiddo comes. He understood that reason.

This table with four chairs and a matching buffet will be delivered Wednesday.

I also got a new light for the entryway. It's pretty. It will be delivered in 4-6 weeks. Just enough time for Alan to forget that I bought lots of stuff all in one trip.

Alan had been taking about needing someplace to sit to stare at his fish. So I got him this bench. It's very guy-like with crazy heavy steel supports with bronze finish.

In my shopping defense, the place where I went shopping is 2 hours from Memphis and I wanted to get everything at once so I didn't have to make another trip anytime soon.

Of course, there is still our bedroom to furnish... and the baby's room... and I still need that chair for the upstairs hall...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very pretty! I can't wait to see it all in your house...you must post pictures!