Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Update From Alan

The city we're in isn't a "tourist" city, so there's not a whole lot of people that speak english. By not a whole lot I mean the entire city. I really thought that the entire world was learning english and at least the young ppl all spoke if fluently everywhere. Italy thinks Alan should stuff is english. I guess italian's been working well for a few thousand years, why change now? Jeremy and I just got back from a nice restaurant and only 1 waiter spoke a very small smidge of english. It was a mess, but we did manage to order food (thank god for pointing... that's pretty universal). I'm stuffed. I don't know if people really order both a primi piatti and secondi piatti. I thought they did. My stomach thinks otherwise.

Our hotel is miniature. My room (bed + bath) is about the size of our bedroom. The elevator fits 2 people. Ever see a 2 person elevator? Me neither. They exist though. It's cut though. Jason (guy from NYC that we're here with) says that italians don't do a lot of business travel so they don't need a big "home away from home" when it comes to their hotels; hence why they're hotels tend to be so small.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

These updates are really neat! Tell Alan to poke around and find some old walls or something. And to have some COFFEE

Anonymous said...

There was an old broadcast of News From Lake Woebegon concerning the Umsteads' trip to Italy. I tried to find it but alas...no luck. sigh. Like Alan, it took Mr. and Mrs. Umstead awhile to get used to the 'beat' of Italy, too. Every time they got dressed and ready to go out and DO something, things were closed for a siesta. But eventually they got into the lifestyle, it was very romantic eating at a small outside cafe much later than their usual 8:30 pm bedtime. They had wine with every meal. They took long languid breaks during the hot part of the day and it just all made sense to them. They got back to lake Woebegon and kept the same routine. Or tried to. Nobody understood it so eventually they got back into the standard L.W. routine but they always missed the other way.
I think, Skye, you can take a coffee maker upstairs to keep Alan in the coffee routine as a helpful wife gesture. You're just trying to help him keep that nice easy Italian pace of life. Bon giorno Hunny here's your coffee...heh heh heh.

Eric and Liz said...

Hi there, don't think I know you, but a search looking for the "ah Kansas" song led me to your blog...you blogged about it MONDAY, OCTOBER 29, 2007. So, this very possibly may be the weirdest request ever, but do you still have that mp3? Tomorrow is Kansas day and I'm dying to hear it!

Anonymous said...

hahaha! I will CALL and tell her to look at her blog!!! Ah Kansas!!!!!
snort

Holding my Breath said...

Yes, I still have the mp3. Give me your email and I'll send it over.

Holding my Breath said...

And I see I missed Kansas Day. *Sigh* I always hated having to color pictures of sunflowers and buffaloes in elementary school.

Anonymous said...

oh Big WAH! Try coloring in seagulls (uh...white) upchucking crickets (muddy green) on the white salt/sand beaches of the muddy green great salt lake on OUR state hood date.
sucks. big time. i need some COFFEE.

Anonymous said...

we need more alan updates.