Monday, May 4, 2009

Upside-Down Update on My Mom

Is the term unresponsive the new PC term for coma? If so, then my mom is finally responsive again. She woke up this morning and recognized me and tried to ask what happened. I could only tell her what didn't happen since they still haven't figured it out. They have her heavily sedated again so she doesn't fight her breathing tube, but awake is awake and I'll take whatever I can get!

She tested negative for an embolism and her heat cath showed that all of her arteries are clear. The CAT scan was unremarkable at this time, and they said they will do another in a couple days. She has pneumonia from aspiration during CPR, which is normal. They did a bronchoscopy and are draining tons of fluid and other crud from her lungs.

My Mom stopped breathing Saturday night and from what I understand her heart stopped. That's what it means when they say she coded twice and they had to use defibrillators, rght? To me that screams heart attack and it did to the medical team, too. She is at Via Christie St Francis in the cardiac ICU, but I'm still unsure if it was technically a heart attack.
Thankfully she wasn't alone and medical attention was administered right away. Thank you Carl's mom and HanJoon. I will forever be in your debt. She was unresponsive from Saturday night until this morning.

I have never seen her look as beautiful as she did this morning when she opened her eyes.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can breathe now...I'll do some worrying for you. Get some sleep, hug C tight, and let Alan hold you close.
N.

James Pickering said...

We're here if you need us, just say the word.

Anonymous said...

Get some rest you guys

angy said...

Oh Skye, I'm crying for you and your mom right now! You can call me any time of the day or night if you need anything, even if it's just to talk. I love you and your mom so much. I'll be praying for you both. Call me when you get a chance. Give her a kiss for me.

Anonymous said...

grace wants to have an ice cream bar to celebrate but i told her no. now she is gurrrrrrring at me. and using her angry eyes.
HA! Like a tiny little dog can intimidate me.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know anything about this until I saw your mom's name on our prayer concern list at church. Another one of the many things that my mother swears that she told me that she DEFINITELY didn't. I'm definitely holding you both close in my heart right now. You let us know if you need ANYTHING. Lots of love.

Alexis