Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sleeping

All of my good blogging ideas seem to happen at 2AM - when I'm upstairs and the computer is downstairs, and I'm feeding Cortland and not exactly mobile. By morning I have slept and all of my brilliant middle of the night observations have skipped right out of my head. Such is life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I thought I would be one of those women that popped up at the first peep out of the baby's mouth. In fact I was counting on it, as Alan sleeps like the dead. Really. A circus could be performing at the foot of the bed and he would be blissfully unaware.

Imagine my surprise when, on Cortland's 1st night home, I woke up to Alan petting my arm and telling to wake up because the only way to quite the crying baby next to my ear was to feed him. Who knew that the maternal alarm clock was sometimes a learned skill and not always hard-wired into a girls system? Good thing I honed the sleepwalking skill early in life. Now that's a skill has come in handy in the past 2 weeks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cortland is an easy baby so far. At night he usually sleeps for a stretch of at least 3-4 hours.

There's this message board I read that's filled with tens of thousands of women, all willing to share their life experiences and opinions.

About a year ago I remember one of the questions posted was; Based on personal experience, how long after your baby was born did it take before the baby was sleeping through the night?

The answers ranged anywhere from the 1st night home to my kid is 25 and his wife tells me he still wakes up 6 times a night to eat. The most common answer was 6 weeks.

6 Weeks.

I told Alan last night that when I read that thread a year ago, I totally did not get the significance of that most common answer of 6 weeks. I get it now.

Soon Cort will be sleeping all night long. And he will be doing all sorts of other things that indicate that he's getting older and bigger. I'm not ready for him to get older yet. Just let me keep him little a while longer.

I'm excited to see him grow and practice new skills. I'm just asking for a little bit more time to enjoy my sweet, butterscotch-breathed baby.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And now for the best part of this blog... pictures!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hold on tight sister! You are in for the most incredible ride of your life! Today's worry is about sleeping through the night, tomorrow's will be whether or not he is getting along with the other boys in school...You are SOOOO blessed! We love you!
N
P.S. I will pray for him to stay litte for a while longer...

Anonymous said...

Love the pics!!!

I'm glad you've got the sleepwalking down. You may have to use it longer than 6 weeks. I hope not for your sake, but don't hold your breath for him to sleep through the night!!!

Love ya!

Hey, try this website. I love it!
www.mops.org