Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Ode to the Lady with the Faulty Memory

Morning sickness has started again. Except it happens in the middle of the night. I thought it was from the stupid red iron pills I have to take, but I throw up whether I take them or not. I then thought maybe it was just when I ate too much. Nope. Not that either. I think it's just plain ole 3rd trimester morning sickness in the middle of the night.

My mom told me that she enjoyed pregnancy simply because she decided that she would. I also remember she didn't even know she was pregnant until she was half way through. And I know for a fact that she didn't enjoy the "flu" she had for the 1st 4 months.

I have really tried to apply my mom's philosophy to "just decide to enjoy this pregnancy". Sometimes it is wonderful. It's fun to watch the baby move from one side to the other. And sometimes I can sit in just the right way and don't feel the pressure in my pelvis. And sometimes I can go all day without heartburn. I don't take those moments for granted. I notice them and I smile and I rub my tummy and am happy I'm pregnant.

But tonight, as I was hanging over the toilet and puking up what was once a really good dinner, I thought of my mom and I stuck my tongue out at her. I silently told her, "Lady, it's been 35 years since you did this and I think your memory is slipping!"

Love you mom.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to puke in the middle of the night when I was very pregnant with all three of my kids! I'm so glad to hear that I'm not wierd! (Well, not any more so than you anyway...) :) I found out that it was when I layed down in bed. I spent the last 2 months of all of my pregnancies sleeping in a recliner. Try that and see if it helps!

Anonymous said...

Umm, dear, what was your name again...? Love mom

Anonymous said...

Well, now you know you don't want to be bulemic. Will send toothpaste and mouthwash carepackage soon.
N.

Anonymous said...

You're one of the most creative, entertaining word weavers I know! I LOVE reading your little entries. I love how you gently pummel the world with truth. You have a way of expressing yourself with the most simple, delightfully edible words.

I love you. :)