Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Graduation from Mommy & Me

Today was the last day of Mommy & Me for the Christensens. Cortland is officially too mobile for the M&M group. I'm kind of relieved as I like an outsider lots of the time.

I would get some strange looks when I pulled out C's favorite toys; a shoehorn and the pacifier clip sans a pacifier. Some of the other parents would look at him like he was this poor neglected thing and try to hand him real toys to play with.

I'm also, apparently, very lax when it comes to a schedule. Cortland's schedule is that he's in bed by 9:30 most nights. The other stuff just falls into place. He naps and eats at about the same-ish time each day and ta-da, that's our schedule.

Half the time Cortland doesn't make it into bedtime clothes after a bath. If he does, then it's the onsie he'll be wearing the next day. After all, all he's going to do is scoot around on the floor, dragging his belly through drool and spit-up that I can't wipe up before he's on the move again. He's fast!

Which brings us to the final reason we're saying goodbye to Mommy & Me; Cortland is a mover and a shaker and I can chase him around our house just as well as the meeting room and all without having to pack a diaper bag. And also because he tried to scoot over another little boy today to get to a toy. Twice. The baby cried.

The supervisor was nervous when I let him scoot under the tables and chairs. Nervous about what I don't know. Sudden death? A little head bump? Licking a metal bar? Heaven forbid Cortland scoot too close to a shoe or the wheel of his stroller. The woman moved him herself when I didn't. A little dirt isn't going to kill the precious darling. Why deny him a taste of a shoelace if that is what makes him happy?

I think a baby should explore his surroundings. I get down and look for hidden dangers like paper clips and hair bands. And yes, Cortland has tried to eat a random missed piece of dog food, but how will he learn otherwise?

I will miss the group, differences and all. It's always interesting to get a glimpse into other peoples lives and see how others interact. But it's much nicer when you interact the same way and don't feel like such an outsider.

Another group forming with kids who are a little older and active. So far it's been fun and the moms seem to be a little more laid back. One mom held her son upside down by the legs as he laughed and laughed. I think we will get along just fine.

12 comments:

Sears on the Plains said...

Mmmm. Dog food bits. Elijah liked those, and we gave up trying to stop him all the time. We quit buying pajama's after Elijah was born (all that we do have were gifts) and AREN'T ONSIES THE BEST THING EVER!!! I wish they made them in adult sizes so I could scoot all over the place dragging my ample belly across the mulch in front of my house...as long as it wouldn't ride up my nether-regions. Oh! And, the sunset picture on my last blog is the north side of your mommy's yard.

Holding my Breath said...

That is so cool! I love that you have a picture from my mom's house. Makes me feel like you have a little part of me in your pocket.

Anonymous said...

My darling daughter: you have discovered the great "secret of bringing up baby"!! It worked with you and see how great you turned out!! love cg

Anonymous said...

oh man. you know that funny shaped head MY kid has? From not one but two wacks from the door jamb. while i was holding her. as i walked thru a door. I attribute her ph.d. to many accidents, dog kibble, chocolate at an early age and getting lost under the sofa. You are doing a superfantastic job. i'm glad you are out of mommy and me. it sounded more like sheep and me.

Anonymous said...

I'm calling CPS! Love you. GMC

James Pickering said...

I'm nominating you for "Mommy of the Year." That's the problem with kids today is that Mommy and Daddy coddle'em too dang much. They don't let them eat dirt, which is why they get sick so much. Their immune systems haven't been strengthened and tested. And parents don't let kids explore and get hurt and learn for themselves. In the real world, things hurt and you learn to not do whatever it was that got you hurt. If kids don't learn when they're young, then they grow up being dependent or selfish. Cortland is going to be a fine adult. I'll be happy to tell CPS that when they get there!

Anonymous said...

shoot, we can take care of those idiot views at mommy and me. i was going to say at D.A. and me but i did not mean dumbledores army, i meant the OTHER thing but no wonder the slytherines made fun of them...would YOU wear a badge with a big old D.A. on it? I think not. but i digress....get me some hair. i have shiny new pins and muslin ready if yhu catch my drift.

James Pickering said...

I do solemnly swear "someone" is up to no good.

2,7, and 5 said...

learning...learning...

2, 7, and 5 said...

Thank you miss Skye! I just linked to myself! i RULE!

angy said...

Hahaha...I'm so glad you're not one of those "overprotective moms" that drive me nuts. Let him drag the TV on to his head a couple of times, he'll learn. That's my parenting strategy. Austin is 12 and he's survived so far. (Of course, he is a little odd, but I'm sure it has nothing to do with the multiple concussions and near death experiences. Really.) Keep raising your own kid the way you think is best and everyone else can take a long walk off a short pier. I'm behind you all the way!!!

Alexis said...

Those other parents are just jealous because they're not as creative as you are with toys. I'm glad you let him do those things too because parents who don't are quite annoying. I want to be a mom just like you someday! :) (And yes, that was meant to sound as cheesy as it does)

Alexis