Saturday, January 24, 2009

Petco, Where the Pets Go - To Die

Tonight at dinner I was reminded of an email I sent to the CEO of Petco.

Gotta love PMS. Every once in awhile I see something from my past that just screams "I need to be on meds! Now!"

Mr. Myers never did respond nor did any of the other 12 Petco people I cc'ed on the letter. Not even a standard "thank you for contacting us and now we're going to put you on the spam email list!" email. Dead fish everywhere. Sad. :(
September 16, 2006

Dear Mr. Myers:

I was in Petco store #1628 in Cordova, TN on Germantown Pkwy this afternoon to purchase fish. I was appalled at the horrible condition of the tanks. Literally half of the fish for sale were dead. Many of the remaining fish were gasping at the top of the tanks. Most of the remaining live fish were obviously not healthy.

Two freshwater Puffer Fish were dead in the bottom of their tank while the other fish were eating the fins off of their carcasses. I watch a mother scrambling to explain to her two small children why these fish were eating each other. The children were, for obvious reasons, very upset, as was the mother.

I advised the person at the register that the fish tanks were in terrible need of attention. He apologetically told me he was the person in charge of the fish department and he was aware of the tanks condition, but that the store was short staffed and he had to work as a cashier. I imagine that he didn’t ring up any fish, as there isn’t a huge market for the dead variety. Short staffing on a Saturday is not an efficient way to manage a store.

Obviously, I walked out of your store without purchasing fish, or any other merchandise for that matter. A store and company that has such an obvious disregard for living animals, regardless of the species, is not where I choose to spend my time or money.

Dead fish may be an unimportant issue for some, but, for me, it is an indication that Petco does not care about the quality or integrity of its products and services. Therefore, the store does not care about the customers or their pets.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I hope that this store is simply an oversight in management at store #1628, and that a solution will be implemented to rectify this inexcusable situation.


Sincerely,

Skye C.

I should have sent a heads up to the RESCUE Aid Society instead. They would have gotten results.

On a different subject loosely related - Back in the olden days, before VCR's, I had the LP record of the Rescuers and followed the story along in a picture book. I still know all of the words. And I still cry at this part-

And this part-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You rock!