Saturday, July 24, 2010

Cancer

I want to vent and throw things and yell profanities, but Carroll's husband, and hopefully someday Carroll, will read this post and I want to keep things as positive as possible. It's a raging war in my head between emotions and conventionality.

Carroll (Kiwi) has brain cancer. It's a level/grade IV astrocytoma. Hers was a primary tumor, meaning it started in her brain, not metastasized from somewhere else in her body. It was removed last Wed and the doctor said he got it all. They estimate it grew to the size of a ping-pong ball in less than 6 months.

Brain cancer rarely spreads to other parts of the body. I guess it figures it's found the Holy Grail with the brain, and it's doesn't have to look any further. She has already started chemo and will continue for 6 months. She starts 6 weeks of radiation the beginning of August.

She has been a trooper through all of this. As she says, "It is what it is." . She says she's scared which to me means she's got her wits about her. I would have been more worried if she wasn't. She is enjoying her daughter and husband and is just taking it easy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the update. I'm here if you need me.

Aunt Jeannie said...

Good to see you blogging again. Ive missed you. Know you are busy. Love to you, Alan, and Courtland. And love to Carroll and her family. My prayers are with you all.
Aunt Jeannie

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you're back! You and you family are in my prayers at such a stressful time...and always. Give Kiwi my love and pinch Cortlands cheek for me. I love you! cg