Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Febrile Seizure a.k.a Fever Induced Seizure

I just wanted to let other mothers out there know that this is a horrible thing to have happen, but rarely a dangerous thing. It's scary and awful and terrible, but not life threatening. If anyone stressed this to me, or even told me about it I don't remember. I was caught completely off-guard.

This was our Tuesday night.
Febrile Seizure a.k.a Fever Induced Seizure

An excerpt from the link along with my comments in blue.
"The first febrile seizure is a frightening moment for parents. Ummm, yeah. No kidding. Most parents are afraid that their child will die or have brain damage. I wasn't thinking about the brain damage part. Just the dying part. One of the most awful experiences I have ever had. Ever. EEEEVVVVVEEEEERRRRR. However, simple febrile seizures are harmless. There is no evidence that they cause death, brain damage, epilepsy, mental retardation, a decrease in IQ, or learning difficulties."
Thank goodness I have such wonderful neighbors. Thank you especially to Tanya, Martha and Frank. After many tests the Dr. said everything came back negative and it was fever induced due to a virus. No damage done - just very scary.

It was the nurse who gave me back my freedom to sleep. She said that she has never seen a child die from one of these seizures. Phew. It was going to be a long 4 years staying awake to stare at a sleeping Cortland because no way was I going to let my baby sleep without my eyeballs glued to his every move if this caused death. Alan and I would figure out staring shifts.

Oh, I almost forgot, the doctor said he sees 5-6 of these a week. A week! The article says only 3-5% of children experience this. Those figures don't add up for me, but it's late and I'm tired.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

5- 6 cases a WEEK? Really? One doctor? Amazing. Skye, you were SUPERFANTASTIC during all this. WHAT a good mom!!!!
please do not let this put you off chocolate chip cookies and go live at our house until the painters are done. sheets are changed.

Anonymous said...

Skye, I am so proud of you!! When you called me last night, you didn't even sound paniced!! I'm not sure I could have reacted the same way lol The scariest thing you did was when you were around 7 months old. You had a little cold when I put you to bed, then a couple of hours later I heard my Mom's chichiua barking. Since my Mom lived in Iowa (with her dog, thank God!!) I went to find the dog that had snuck into the house. As I passed your bedroom door, I discovered the dog was in your bedroom! When I went into your room, I discovered the dog was YOU!! When you breathed it sounded like a dog BARKING!! Scared the dickens out of me. I grabbed you up in a blanket and ran for the car. Billy intercepted me at the front door before I could run out with no coat, no shoes and no brain!! We (I) calmed a bit and called the Dr. When he called back (eons later!!) He said to give you Tylenol and run the shower or a bath and "hold you over it"! Can't believe it took him 8 years of schooling to learn that little gem of wisdom! We made an appointment for the next day. You checked out OK except for the "cold" and the barking, which was gone by then. And you lived. And so did I (come to think of it, that event could have put me in cardiac arrest if it had been a few years later, hmmm). Hug your baby for me and hug yourself and Alan for being such good parents. I love you all! cg

Anonymous said...

oh carol, you should have seen skye. She was so great! She did all the right stuff...her eyes were like HUGE but she did everything right!
And Alan was great at the hospital. They were pretty scared kids there...but you know, they did wonderfully. I am always impressed with Skye's strength in situations like this. man. i need a drink.

Anonymous said...

Dear Anon: lol! I know what you mean about the huge eyes!! But, Skye IS A ROCK! I don't know where she got it but even as a child, she was pretty calm in emergencies. I think they are great parents, too! Nice to hear it from others. cg

Anonymous said...

well, I'm a fan. Hey! You get to stay at MY house!!!! YAY! This is perfect. Jim and i move upstairs in the winter anyway so this works out perfectly! oh. Unless you WANT to climb stairs? Like if you lost your mind recently ha ha.
I want to make skye bark. heh...t

Holding my Breath said...

I think my mom would fit right in if she moved to Memphis. And I would have a build in cheering section. Thank you both for saying such nice things. It's funny because I don't remember much except that TANYA was the rock and I somehow got to the hospital with wet socks.

Holding my Breath said...

And PS - Arf! Arf!

Anonymous said...

Your socks were wet because your shoes were under the kitchen table, you ran out in the rain thru the wet grass to help martha with her phone and also you are a free spirit.

Remember Lord of the Rings-the scene where frodo is shootin the breeze with galadrial about hey if this ring is so powerful why don't YOU take it? And she reached out for it and turned into the hellascarry big tall silver powerful goddess who was terrible to behold to put it biblically? THAT is what you were like!
Woe to anybody who tries to hurt that little baby.