Monday, June 9, 2008

Why My Mom Should Win Hostess-of-the-Year

As you know by now I got to visit my Mom for two whole uninterrupted weeks. It was so much fun to be mommied again.

After my bath the 1st day there, I grabbed a towel, dried my face and promptly dropped it to the floor. ACK! It was mildewy smelling. Horrible! I picked up another towel and smelled it. The 2nd one was just as bad as the 1st. Gag. Bleck. Finally I just ran around in circles in the bedroom until I was dry. Mom, bet you're glad you were at work that morning!

Now I wasn't thinking poorly of my Mom. The poor woman can't smell to save her life. Well, I think she could possibly smell smoke if it was strong enough, so no calling social services for the aged. (Just kidding mommy. We all know you're not anywhere near old, yet, just olfactorily inhibited!)

I was a little peeved at her housekeeper. This lady knows my Mom can't smell. That's why the housekeeper is supposed to sniff inside the fridge when she comes to clean. She had obviously been neglectful of sniffing the towels when she washed them. They were baddddd. Gack. Icky bad. I wondered how long my Mom had been drying her body with towels that smelled like old jelly shoes?

I gently inquired to my mom if she would mind if I rewashed the towels. Of course, when asking, the gagging noises may have been a little overboard.

The towels smelled exactly the same after a 2nd wash that included vinegar. I finally gave up and admitted defeat. And that's how I learned that Pregnancy Nose is not a myth.

My sweet angel of a Mom took me to ALCO (how many of you remember ALCO's?) and we bought the detergent that I use at home. I rewashed towels for a 3rd time so that bathtime could remain vomit-free for the remainder of my visit.

Thanks Mom!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're lucky your mom did not smack you in the head with a wet towel instead of taking you to the store for your own soap. I would have gone the towel route. not really. because you introduced me to PREFAB rice krispie bars!!! i love you! Pregnancy nose. hahaha that be funny! i am still voting yes for velvet valentine. In fact my husbo would too only he would vote for valentine del terciopelo. I will knit that into the baby sack if you like.
i am so glad you are home.
make your mom come and stay longer.i miss her. whining worked to get you home so i will whine to get her to come back and stay longer.

Anonymous said...

Velvet Valentine will not happen!

Holding my Breath said...

Awwww, honey! Why ever not? It's a wonderful, catchy name that isn't overused. It fits the name picking criteria perfectly! And best of all it's perfect for a girl OR a boy. What more could you ask for?

Anonymous said...

You never cease to make me smile!

Anonymous said...

say it with me now...VELLLLLvet VALLLLLLLLentine.....neato mosquito. Works for me.