Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Functional Neurology

First off let me tell you how excited I am that I just got $400 worth of the CUTEST shirts from Ann Taylor Loft for $125. And they're a size medium. Yay Me!

And now let me tell you all about Cortland's brain as I understand it. Dr. Rosenthal said we need to work to get the receptors recepting in four parts of his brain.

Basal Ganglia - Memorization and motor actions

Parietal Lobe - Orientation of where he is physically
TREATMENT - We have special glasses with yellow lenses and flashing red lights that activate this part of the brain. I'm not sure if its this brand, but Eyelights are similar except C's lenses are yellow. Cortland is to wear then three times a day for five minutes each time and gradually increase the time worn on a weekly basis.


Temporal Lobe - Speech, vision, sound, smell and personal relationships
TREATMENT - The talking to the left eye and negative reinforcement helps this part of the brain.
RESULTS: Dr. Rosethal said this part of the treatment possibly is why Cortland gave me my first ever unprompted kiss last night. It also could explain the huge language leap this week which includes saying colors and lots of three and four work phrases that happened in the last week. Not to mention the fact that C actively sought out my mom and others to play when we were visiting last weekend.

Cerebellum - Coordination, balance, cognition, fine tunes motor activity


Our other homework this week is to continue having Cortland push is big exercise ball around since he stands correctly while doing that. He love to chase me around the house with a ball almost as tall as he is. We're also to play catch with dodgeball size balls and larger from at least 7ish feet away from each other. That makes him see more than just one focal point.

I'll keep you posted on results.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What good news!! I noticed such a hugh improvement in C this weekend from even just a month ago when I was there! Whatever the process that is causing it, keep it up! You're doing great!
And, Yay you!! on your purchases!! It will help the feel-good-about-you portion of YOUR brain!! cg

Anonymous said...

This is good news! What a good momma you are (even when you're tired and don't wanna do it). Make sure with all C's homework, you find a little time to take care of yourself too! andi

Brightfield Farm said...

that is SUCH amazing. IF he'd been born in another generation he'd be sitting in a room somewhere...you are SUCH tremendous parents! You continually amaze me.
Now. how did you get the swell sale!!!! I love you

Anonymous said...

I swear I could see changes in him over the weekend. I am so glad you found Dr. R. And since C likes to wear glasses, it shouldn't be so hard to keep them on him.
I don;t even know what an Ann Taylor loft is...but yea for you! It was so great to be with all you guys. I miss you!
Aunt Jeannie

Tara said...

Thank you so much for all the inspiration!