Thursday, April 29, 2010

Less is More


VIEW FROM OUR CONDO BALCONY

It's a little late now, but I think I made a horrible error in judgment concerning my life. I wish I would have, before I got used to the finer things in life - cars, furniture, running water - have aspired to a simpler lifestyle. Beach Raker.

Just imagine, getting up and raking the sand clean of the high tide seaweed and then laying on the beach until the next raking in the morning. Easy-Peasy. Only as many possessions as will fit in a Chevy Chevette and eating ramen every meal, but the trade-off is a life of relaxation.

I might have even learned how to surf along the way. Maybe have saved for a metal detector. Made puka shell necklaces to sell to a local shop. Knitted fishing nets.

The possibilities would have been endless if only I had aspired to less.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sigh...and i grew up with all the surfer bum movies. beach bum was never on a job description. boo

Anonymous said...

Well, you can always push Cortland to live the life you never had as a Beach Raker...
Hope you're having a good time! We are still counting down the days...hehehe!
N.