Thursday, June 3, 2010

Music

I turned on my Itunes and put in my earbuds to drown out Alan's basketball game and BAM, I'm back in 10th grade, in the commons at South High, during play practice listening to Under Pressure by Bowie and Queen. The layers in that song, the horns and strings, the guitars, the percussion, all of it. So rich and moving.

I forget how music can make me feel like I'm on a roller coaster; it can totally take my breath away.

I get the same feeling from ABBA and the soundtrack to Grease 2. (Oh yeah, you heard me, Grease 2. And you all totally know you want a coooooool rider, c-o-o-l r-i-d-e-r....)

And then Under Pressure takes me to Vanilla Ice. Ah, that one song. Ding Ding Ding Da Da Ding Ding. Da Ding Ding Ding Da Da Ding Ding. It makes me giggle just thinking about the lawsuit that followed and Robert van Winkle's ridiculous argument that the extra ding made it an original riff and not copyright infringement. What a goofball. And sadly, it just makes me like the song more. That and the memories of riding around with Jeni Edwards after Friday night football games.

Zao, Swing Swing by All American Rejects and Jimmy Eat World take me to 2003 when I was newly single after 14 years. When I felt nervous and excited and utterly grown up and self-reliant for the 1st time in my life. I bought a red couch that year and cried in the store because it was the 1st piece of furniture I picked out without having to put aside my own style in order to keep the peace. (other than my daybed in high school. Thanks mom!)

Alan gets all of the pining-for-you love songs due to his year in Memphis without me. All of them from the last 36 years; not just the ones from 2004. *Sigh* Poor guy. Drives him nuts. He also gets I've Been Working on the Railroad. heh.

So off I go to bed with a lighter heart and excited to start tomorrow by going out and meeting new people. I'm looking forward to making a 2010 Life Soundtrack to reminisce about in 10 years. I may even pay the $20 to join that mom's group here in town - even though it skeeves me out a little to have to pay for friends. Makes me seem desperate.....

Under Pressure....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

funny that under pressure was used for a diamond ad...as nathan lane said quoting opra "later...layers...layers...

J-Mom said...

LOVE YOU!!! Love the random music.

I guess some of C's soundtrack of last year could be all about the cow in front and the sheep behind--put them together and what do you find?

You can be my friend for FREEEEE! I will even start you your own group. But the commute will be a killer!